January 22, 2013

Ice Cream And Cake


Hi

This past weekend was my birthday. Naturally that means cake. I chose to make a carrot cake with classic cream cheese frosting. Sweet (16).

I didn't do a lot for my birthday, just a few friends over for cake, ice-cream, and oddly, dinner. So it was a birthday dinner party. We ate dinner, cake, ice-cream, watched hunger games, and then everyone left. Bangin' party right? You can tell whats important to us :)

For dinner we had mushroom and spinach & cheese ravioli, in a walnut butter sauce that was (very unfortunately) sub par. :( The cake as is said, was carrot cake and delicious. We had butter pecan ice-cream with it. One thing I cannot stand is foods that don't 'match'. It took me forever and a day to figure out what meal would complement the cake, and then what ice-cream went with the cake.

I learned something that weekend though. I don't like cake and ice-cream together very much. I like cake, and ice-cream, but not together(except for melted ice cream soaked into cake crumbs)(which doesn't really count). I also learned that cream cheese frosting does not like me, and I'm glad that I opted to eat toffuti ice-cream instead of the real stuff to avoid any more discomfort.

Carrot Cake
(serves 20)

2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
3/4 c oil
3 c grated carrots
3/4 c walnuts


 preheat oven to 350 and prepare two cake pans. mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. add eggs and oil, beating until well blended. mix in carrots and nuts. bake for 30-45 minutes. best made one day in advance.

Cream Cheese Frosting
2-3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp butter
2 C powdered sugar
1tsp. vanilla extract

cream the cheese and butter with an electric mixer, add sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy.

Nutrition Info:
(nutrition info is calculated including the frosting)

Calories: 295
Fat: 15 g (6g are unsaturated- from the nuts)
Carbs: 39g
     sugar: 27.8g
Protein: 4g

Question of the Day:
Do you have any weird foodisms?
I cant do the texture of beef either, it's just not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment