January 21, 2013

Sugar, Sweet, Sugar

     One thing that I have recently become aware of is how much unnecessary sugar is added to food. Every time my aunt is over we somehow land on the topic of how when she was my age(70's) things like katcup didn't have sugar added to them. I think she's right, these things don't need sugar in them.somewhere I read you can cut a recipes sugar by like 1/4-1/2 and not really change the result of the food. It makes sense to me that lazy food colonies just keep adding sugar to everything we buy, they want a product that sell, we want one that tastes good. What tastes good? Sugar. So put some sugar in the katsup, put some sugar in your yogurt heck put some in the bread, and the juice, put it in tomato sauce."everything is better with sugar" they think. And all this results in is sugar being the omniingredient, put into everything. Even if it has no real place being there. It fosters our sugar addiction,raising our threshold for what we deem "sweet". Well I called the seventys, to see if they'd take me. I want some old fashioned sugar free food.

     Speaking of sugar free, when I was in elementary school, and everyone brought lunch, my friend and I wouldn't eat our pudding cups if we saw it said 'sugar free' on the label. We wanted that stereotype of kids loving sugary things and having sugar highs and bouncing off the walls(something I couldn't achieve no matter how much sugar I ate) its sad to think that we refused a food simply because it didn't have sugar in it.(we certainly weren't concerned with the artificial sweeteners I'm sure were in our sugar free puddings) now I know that I feel energized only if I don't  eat a ton of sugar. I don't count exactly how much sugar I eat, but I know the recommendation is 25g. And I think usually double that. So here's to less sugary baked goods, that still taste yum-dili-umtious!

No comments:

Post a Comment